VMA Data Protection Office
We respect your right to privacy and aim to comply with the requirements of all relevant privacy and data protection laws, particularly the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (DPA). As in the case of the National Privacy Commission (NPC), we also seek to strike a balance between your personal privacy, and the free flow of information, especially when pursuing our legitimate interests and when necessary to carry out our responsibilities as an educational institution.
In this Policy, the terms, “data” and “information” are used interchangeably. When we speak of “personal data”, the term includes the concepts of personal information, sensitive personal information, and privileged information. The first two are typically used to distinctively identify you. For their exact definitions, you may refer to the text of the DPA or you can visit the website of the VMAGCTCI Data Protection Office. You should also note that while we give examples here to explain this Policy in simple and clear language, they do not make up an exhaustive list of all the data that we process.
Information We Collect, Acquire and Generate
We collect your personal data in many forms. They may consist of written records, photographic and video images, digital material, and even biometric records. Examples include:
a. Information you provide us during your application for admission. When you apply with us for admission, we collect, among others: (1) directory information, like your name, email address, telephone number, and other contact details; (2) data about your personal circumstances, such as your family background, history, and other relevant circumstances, previous schools attended, academic performance, disciplinary record, employment record, and medical records; and (3) and any or all information obtained through interviews and/or during entrance tests or admission examinations.
b. Information we collect or generate after enrolment and during the course of your stay with us. After you join the VMAGCTCI, we may also collect additional information about you, including: (1) your academic or curricular undertakings, such as the classes you enroll in, scholastic performance, attendance record, etc.; (2) co-curricular matters you may engage in, such as service learning, outreach activities, internship or apprenticeship compliance; (3) your extra- curricular activities, such as membership in student organizations, leadership positions, and participation and attendance in seminars, competitions, programs, outreach activities, and study tours; and (4) any disciplinary incident that you may be involved in, including accompanying sanctions. There will also be times when we will acquire other forms of data like pictures or videos of activities you participate in, via official documentation of such activities, or through recordings from closed-circuit security television cameras installed within school premises.
c. Unsolicited Information. There may be instances when personal information is sent to or received by us even without our prior request. In such cases, we will determine if we can legitimately keep such information. If it is not related to any of our legitimate interests, we will immediately dispose of the information in a way that will safeguard your privacy. Otherwise, it will be treated in the same manner as information you provide us. If you supply us with personal data of other individuals (e.g., person to contact in the event of an emergency), we will request you to certify that you have obtained the consent of such individuals before providing us with their personal data.
How We Use Your Information
To the extent permitted or required by law, we use your personal data to pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution, including a variety of academic, administrative, research, historical, and statistical purposes. For example, we may use the information we collect for purposes such as:
1. evaluating applications for admission to the VMAGCTCI;
2. processing confirmation of incoming, transfer, cross-registering, or non-degree students in preparation for enrollment;
3. recording, generating, and maintaining student records of academic, co-curricular, and extra- curricular progress;
4. recording, storing, and evaluating student work, such as homework, seatwork, quizzes, long tests, exams, term papers, theses, dissertations, culminating or integrating projects, research papers, reflection papers, essays and presentations;
5. recording, generating, and maintaining records, whether manually, electronically, or by other means, of grades, academic history, class schedules, class attendance and participation in curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular activities;
6. establishing and maintaining student information systems;
7. sharing of grades between and among faculty members, and others with legitimate official need, for academic deliberations and evaluation of student performance;
8. processing scholarship applications, grants, allowances, reports to benefactors, and other forms of financial assistance;
9. investigating incidents that relate to student behavior and implementing disciplinary measures;
10. maintaining directories and alumni records;
11. compiling and generating reports for statistical and research purposes;
12. providing services such as health, insurance, counseling, information technology, library, sports/recreation, transportation, parking, campus mobility, safety and security;
13. managing and controlling access to campus facilities and equipment;
14. communicating official school announcements;
15. sharing marketing and promotional materials regarding school-related functions, events, projects, and activities;
16. soliciting your participation in research and non-commercial surveys sanctioned by the VMAGCTCI;
17. soliciting your support, financial or otherwise, for VMAGCTCI programs, projects, and events;
18. sharing your information with persons or institutions as provided below.
We consider the processing of your personal data for these purposes necessary for the performance of our contractual obligations to you, for our compliance with a legal obligation, to protect your vitally important interests, including your life and health, for the performance of tasks we carry out in the public interest (e.g., public order, public safety, etc.), or for the pursuit of the legitimate interests of the VMAGCTCI, or a third party. We understand that the DPA imposes stricter rules for the processing of sensitive personal information and privileged information, and we are fully committed to abiding by those rules.
If we require your consent for any specific use of your personal data, we will collect it at the appropriate time.
Please note further that we will not subject your personal data to any automated decision-making process without your prior consent.
How We Share, Disclose, or Transfer Your Information
To the extent permitted or required by law, we may also share, disclose, or transfer your personal data to other persons or organizations in order to uphold your interests and/or pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution. For example, we may share, disclose, or transfer your personal data for purposes such as:
1. posting of acceptance to the VMAGCTCI, awarding of financial aid and merit scholarship grants, class lists, class schedules, online, in school bulletin boards, or other places within the campus;
2. sharing of your personal data with your parents, guardians, or next of kin, as required by law, or on a need-to-know basis, as determined by the VMAGCTCI, in order to promote your best interests, or to protect your health, safety, and security, or that of others;
3. sharing of some information to donors, funders, or benefactors for purposes of scholarship, grants, and other forms of assistance;
4. publication of scholars’ graduation brochure for distribution to donors, funders, or benefactors;
5. distribution of the list of graduates and awardees in preparation for and during commencement exercises;
6. reporting and/or disclosure of information to the NPC and other government bodies or agencies (e.g., Commission on Higher Education, Department of Education, Bureau of Immigration, Department of Foreign Affairs, Civil Service Commission, Bureau of Internal Revenue, Professional Regulation Commission, Legal Education Board, Supreme Court, etc.), when required or allowed by law;
7. sharing of information with entities or organizations (e.g. Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities) for accreditation and institution ranking purposes;
8. sharing of information with entities or organizations (e.g., Negros Occidental Private Schools Sports Cultural Educational Association “NOPSSCEA” ) for determining eligibility in sports or academic competitions, as well as other similar events.;
9. complying with court orders, subpoenas and/or other legal obligations;
10. conducting internal research or surveys for purposes of institutional development;
11. publishing academic, co-curricular, and extra-curricular achievements and success, including honors lists and names of awardees in school bulletin boards, website, social media sites, and publications;
12. sharing your academic accomplishments or honors and co-curricular or extra-curricular achievements with schools you graduated from or were previously enrolled in, upon their request;
13. use of photos, videos, and other information in order to promote the school, including its activities and events, through marketing or advertising materials, such as brochures, website posts, newspaper advertisements, physical and electronic bulletin boards, and other media;
14. live-streaming of VMAGCTCI events;
15. publication of communications with journalistic content, such as news information in VMAGCTCI publications, and social media sites;
How We Store and Retain Your Information
Your personal data is stored and transmitted securely in a variety of paper and electronic formats, including databases that are shared between the VMAGCTCI different units or offices. Access to your personal data is limited to VMAGCTCI personnel who have a legitimate interest in them for the purpose of carrying out their contractual duties. Rest assured that our use of your personal data will not be excessive.
Unless otherwise provided by law or by appropriate VMAGCTCI policies, we will retain your relevant personal data indefinitely for historical and statistical purposes. Where a retention period is provided by law and/or a VMAGCTCI policy, all affected records will be securely disposed of after such period.
The VMA Global College and Training Centers, Inc. (VMAGCTCI) respects your right to privacy and aims to comply with the requirements of all relevant privacy and data protection laws, particularly the Data Privacy Act of 2012. Please take the time to read this Policy explaining how we process the information we collect from or generate about you every time you access this website. Other domains (e.g., websites, microsites, webpages, etc.) managed or maintained by the VMAGCTCI, including those by VMA Training Center and VMA Technical Education and Skills Training Center, may be covered by a separate and different policy.
What We Collect
Whenever you browse this site, we automatically record technical information about your visit. They may include the following:
• browser type and version
• browser plug-in types and versions
• date and time of connection
• length of visits to certain pages
• IP address
• operating system
• pages viewed/searched for
• page interaction information (e.g., scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs)
• page response time
• time zone setting
• download errors
• platforms and referrers
In most instances, this information, by itself, is not sufficient to determine your identity.
Why We Collect Them
The recorded information is used primarily to help keep the site safe and secure. In addition, it may also be used for bug tracking, investigations relating to a security or data breach, and usage statistics. If we need to use any collected information that constitutes personal data for purposes not compatible with those listed here, we will inform you prior to such use and, where required by law, obtain your consent.
How We Use, Store, and Retain Them
All information collected by domains maintained by the VMAGCTCI is stored in its data centers that are accessible only to authorized personnel and agents, such as, in some cases, third party service providers. Third parties who maintain or manage websites for some units or offices of the VMAGCTCI store their collected information in their own designated servers or data centers. The collected information is kept for as long as necessary to achieve the declared purpose for its collection. In no case is it shared with or transferred to other persons or organizations, unless required or permitted by law.
Your Rights and How to Exercise Them
You have rights under the law regarding your personal data. Should you wish to exercise these, or if you have some questions relating to the VMAGCTCI data protection efforts, you may contact the VMAGCTCI Data Protection Office through the following:
Complaints / Security Incidents: email@example.com
Address: DPO Office, VMA Global College, Earl Carol St., Sum-ag, Bacolod City, Neg. Occ., Philippines.
Changes to This Policy
We may, from time to time, make changes to this Policy. When permissible, we will let you know through other means of communication. However, any modification is effective immediately upon posting on this website.